Convergence: A Novel of Catastrophic Disaster
Novelist Paul Boerger agreed to answer questions I had about his just released novel Convergence: A Novel of Catastrophic Disaster . I watched the movie Contagion last week and his book has many of the elements that made the movie so captivating.
- If you could have any famous person post an Amazon review for your book, who would it be and why? Theoretical physics professor, author and television personality Dr. Michio Kaku would be my first choice. He is a renown scientist who would understand the world-wide implications of the ideas presented in Convergence. People listen when Kaku speaks. For just book sale exposure, I would take Jon Stewart. He is more than just a comedian. He is a smart guy with great insights.
- If you could have lunch with any character in your book, who would it be and why?It would be an experience to meet the African woman Maleeta Mubuti. Her character undergoes so many profound experiences, it would be fascinating to hear her world view. Centers for Disease Control researcher Sandra Stone would also be high on my list. She perseveres in the face of a worldwide calamity.
- Do you recall the moment that the idea for Convergence, first popped into your head? If so, tell me about it. When I finished the essay The Tragedy of the Commons by Garrett Hardin, I was immediately hooked on creating a novel around his ideas. I was introduced to the essay by a friend as we were having a political discussion. Hardin’s basic theme is that until we control population growth, we are condemned to an endless cycle of expansion and then collapse. History appears to bear this out.
- What was the most enjoyable part of writing your book? What was the most challenging? Creating a cast of extremely different characters from all parts of the world was fascinating. Keeping track of them and having the narrative flow from one to another was very challenging.
- There are thousands of novels out there. Why should a reader choose Convergence? Climate shift is not in the future, we are in it. Endless warfare continues. The threat of a worldwide pandemic looms over us. Convergence explores the consequences of ignoring these conditions from the viewpoints of a wide variety of characters and offers insights into solutions.
Buy the Fine Print Today
Free Publishing Consultation
You can get a free 15 or 30 minute publishing consultation to with Mark Levine to discuss your publishing project, goals, and ideas..
The Author's Bill of Rights
Discover what every author has the right to demand from any self-publishing company. If a self-publishing company won't honor The Author's Bill of Rights, don't give them one penny of your money.